Steam is about to become even more controller-friendly by helping gamers identify which games support PlayStation controllers. In a recent update announcement aimed at developers, Valve revealed that this feature is set to go live in the Steam store and desktop app starting in October.
This move signifies a significant step forward in assisting players in finding games that are compatible with Sony’s DualSense and DualShock controllers. Valve hints at the possibility of more controller-related features making their way to Steam in the future, potentially revolutionizing the gaming experience for PC players.
Developers will now encounter a new questionnaire within Steamworks, Valve’s suite of game creation tools tailored for its widely-used digital storefront. This survey empowers developers to specify whether their games offer full or partial support for a range of controllers, including Xbox, DualShock, and DualSense controllers. Furthermore, Valve’s filtering system will not only inform players about controller compatibility but also detail the extent to which each PlayStation controller can be used in a particular game, providing valuable insights into controller usage preferences.
Valve’s decision to implement these changes is grounded in the growing popularity of PlayStation controllers among gamers. Remarkably, Sony controller usage has surged from 11 percent of gaming sessions in 2018 to a significant 27 percent today. It’s a testament to the appeal and functionality of these controllers in the PC gaming world. Additionally, Valve reports that since 2017, more than 87 million Steam users have tried gaming with a controller at least once. Within this user base, 69 percent have favored some version of Xbox controllers, while the remaining 31 percent have embraced a diverse array of controllers, including various PlayStation models, Switch Pro Controllers, and numerous other devices.
In essence, Steam’s upcoming feature will streamline the gaming experience for players who prefer PlayStation controllers, ensuring that they can easily identify compatible games and enjoy seamless gameplay. This is a positive step towards inclusivity and enhancing the accessibility of PC gaming. So, if you’re a fan of PlayStation controllers, keep an eye out for this exciting update coming to Steam in October, and get ready to elevate your gaming experience to new heights.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about PlayStation controller compatibility
What is the upcoming feature on Steam mentioned in the text?
Steam is introducing a new feature that will inform users if a game supports Sony’s DualSense or DualShock controllers.
When will this new feature be available on Steam?
The feature is set to go live in Steam’s store and desktop app starting in October.
How can game developers provide information about controller support for their games?
Developers can use a new questionnaire in Steamworks, Valve’s game creation tools, to specify whether their game offers full or partial support for Xbox, DualShock, and DualSense controllers.
What additional information will the filters provide about PlayStation controllers?
The filters will not only indicate controller compatibility but also detail the extent to which each PlayStation controller can be used in a particular game, offering insights into controller usage preferences.
Why did Valve decide to implement this feature?
Valve’s decision is based on the increasing popularity of PlayStation controllers among gamers. Sony controller usage has grown from 11 percent of gaming sessions in 2018 to 27 percent today.
How many Steam users have played games with controllers since 2017?
Since 2017, over 87 million Steam users have tried gaming with a controller at least once.
What percentage of these users preferred Xbox controllers?
Among those users, 69 percent favored some version of Xbox controllers.
What other controllers were used by the remaining 31 percent of users?
The remaining 31 percent used a mix of PlayStation controllers, Switch Pro Controllers, and various other devices.
What impact will this feature have on PC gaming with PlayStation controllers?
This feature will make it easier for players who prefer PlayStation controllers to find compatible games, enhancing their gaming experience on PC.